Monday 27 August 2012

Recommended Musical: Chicago (2012) by Belén Delgado





What better way that celebrate my husband's birthday than going to the modern Board Gas Energy theatre in Docklands to see a very vibrant award-winning musical : Chicago. This was one of my birthday presents for him. I have seen many other musicals before  but none with this cabaret style mixed with humour and acting. It doesn't have complicated changes of the stage or clothing, it's just their erotic dances and songs , the women in their corsets and tight black dresses. Gee ! After the show you realize how unfit you are! They are able to dance and sing at the same time, act and be funny with short dialogues and songs. To me, the 2 female protagonists, British actresses Ali Bastian  playing Roxie and Tupele Dorgu playing Velma Kelly, were the best ones they were not only talented singers and dancers but also very good actress. Of course, previous "blue" singer , Duncan James, who played the role of the cheeky lawyer Billy Flynn, only for Dublin shows was another of my favorite ones. I have always been a fan of Blue and he did not disappointed me live in the theatre either. Duncan plays an excellent role and sings beautifully and he still has the looks! I did not find attractive, though , the male dancers, their moves and clothes were very gay in their black-net t-shirts and exaggerated black-fitted trousers. On the contrary , the male audience was very happy with the sexy and feminine moves of the hot dancers. Believe me, I was trying to find some faults but I couldn't, they were good-looking and talented. My husband was very excited using his binoculars for the first time (this was my second birthday present) checking the girls out. Some moments of the show reminded me a bit of the show we went to see in Lido in Paris. It was beautiful to see the choreographies they had with the feathers , the dancers and chairs. Last but not least, another highlight for me was the live music of the band on the stage, they were even part of the musical, I loved that, they have such positive energy, we were all clapping along at the end.By the way, I loved the exaggerated American accent, they really looked American to me! I don't want to tell you much to encourage you to go and see it!! They are still in Dublin until the first of September !! Jaaaaazzzzzz.

No comments:

Do you want to feel with a very aesthetic movie?" Les jeunes amants" - The Young Lovers(2021)

  Year:  2021 Genre:  Romantic/Drama Critics point of view & My own:  Pages specialized in cinema reviews like IDMB give it a score of ...