Sunday 14 September 2008

My ideal husband by OSCAR WILDE


Last week I went to see in the Abbey theater in Dublin an ingenious play by Oscar Wilde "my ideal husband". To show you some of Wilde´s wit full of irony and paradox, I´m going to write some of his timeless quotes from this play:


"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance"


"Fashion is what one wears oneself. What is unfashionable is what other people wear. Other people are quite dreadful. "


Lord Caversham: "I don't know how you stand society. A lot of damned nobodies talking about nothing.

Lord Arthur Goring: I love talking about nothing, Father. It's the only thing I know anything about. "


Lord Arthur Goring: "My dear Mrs. Cheveley, I should make you a very bad husband.

Laura : I don't mind bad husbands. I've had two. They amused me immensely. "


Lord Caversham: "What are you doing here, sir? Wasting your time, as usual?

Lord Arthur Goring: My dear father, when one pays a visit, it is for the purpose of wasting other people's time and not one's own.
The moral of this play is that no woman shoud put her husband on a pedestal,there is no "ideal husband" as such, we are all human and a husband doesnt need to be perfect to make it work. Faults also give some excitement to the relationship!


No place is better than the Oscar Wilde´s hometown, Dublin to see one of his plays. If you are bored of contemporary theater and want to listen to some intelligent and remarkable quotes ,go and see any Wilde´s play or try to read one of his books!

No comments:

Do you want to feel with a very aesthetic movie?" Les jeunes amants" - The Young Lovers(2021)

  Year:  2021 Genre:  Romantic/Drama Critics point of view & My own:  Pages specialized in cinema reviews like IDMB give it a score of ...