Sunday 15 February 2015

Humble review by Belén Delgado " Fifty Shades of Grey" ( Feb 14, 2015)

I have to admit that i have not read the books and it´s not the type of literature that I usually go for but I heard a lot about 50 Shades of Grey (I even received the book in pdf format from a friend that loved the books) that I was intrigued to see the film. I wanted to see it, too to be able to have my own opinion about it, specially after having received such bad criticism from the public and the media. I have a blog where I write about cinema so I could not make an exception with this movie that everyone is talking about. It seemed the perfect plan for a 14th of February: A torrid love story with a sexy billionaire based on a bestseller, specially being read by women, so why not going and seeing it?

Well, I knew what i was going to see was not going to be excellent acting and that the the plot was based on a best-seller erotic romance trilogy. I do not like being influenced by others who hate a movie. I like to have my own opinion about things, in general. So if you ask me what I think about it, well, the Irish male protagonist is attractive, yes, not my type but attractive, so not bad there, however, his acting was really bad and I´m not sure if that was the intention of the film  but it turned out to be a "comedy" with some of the quotes from the film. The audience laughed several times (including us..), so again, not sure if that was the intention. Some of the lines I remember now are " I do not make love, i fuck hard, really hard" , If a guy says that to me in the real life, i would have laughed in his face, the same i did in the cinema , so not sure if that would actually turn me on or off lol. Anyway, my point is that the movie entertained me, i laughed and i enjoyed some of the aesthetic scenes between the too (both of them kissing in the piano with the great view of the skyscrapers from the apartment). The female protagonist, Dakota Johnson  (Melanie´s Griffith´s daughter) plays her role much better than his male, counterpart , Jamie Dornan , however none of them blew me away with their acting.



The audience in the cinema was all couples and group of women that were giggling most of the time, beer was sold , which it´s the first time i have seen , the ads prior to the movie were about condoms, in the end it was the perfect setting to see an erotic movie mainly done to please the female audience that wanted to have a good time. I did not see anyone walking out the cinema and believe me, i have seen it with other films. To me, even though the topics of sadism and masochism are handled , it´s done with a great deal of respect, not to hurt anyone´s feelings, in the end it´s a love story and she agreed to what it was being done to her and when she didn´t like it, she walked away. In the end, the film and book is all fiction and you are entitled to think and have your own fantasies in a story in a book or movie. I totally disagree with the critics that have talked about abuse being shown in the film. On a separate note, I was thinking all the time, if the Spanish director, Pedro Almodovar .would have directed this movie it would have been much tougher and real. However, this version is a light one, there are cheese romantic scenes. Even some scenes that could have been much more difficult to watch. If there is still anyone out there that thinks that this film is about hard sex in the screen.. well , it´s not.. there is some nudity shown but very light.

See link of an interview with the author and the protagonists:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1946193/?ref_=tt_cl_t2

Last but not least, for those who may criticize me because I have seen this movie , I have to say that I do not care much, I usually like going to see movies that are talked about to be able to write about them, so I won´t change that. I have to say that I hope i have made it clear that it was not the movie of my life but i was entertained and I´m glad I went to see it. If you ask me if I would recommend it, well if you have the same expectations than I had , go and see it and make your own judgement. But please see it in the original version, i do not even want to think how it sounds in Spanish.

No comments:

Do you want to feel with a very aesthetic movie?" Les jeunes amants" - The Young Lovers(2021)

  Year:  2021 Genre:  Romantic/Drama Critics point of view & My own:  Pages specialized in cinema reviews like IDMB give it a score of ...